A Travellerspoint blog

Going to a fish fry amazon style

Another early day for us but for good reason. We took a 2 hour boat ride to another lake, lake Valencia. The ride was pretty miserable to be honest, it was raining and I was sitting in the exposed seat and I got the wind and rain beating down on me. The rain did stop when we got to our destination, and the purpose of the trip was to go fishing for piranhas!!! We had wooden sticks with fishing line and a hook tied to the end. We used raw chunks of beef as bait and away we went. It was slow at first while everyone got the hang of it. As soon as you felt a little pull you had to whip your stick out of the water and into the boat. We lost a lot of bait..the piranhas were having a buffet. But we got the hang of it and started catching them. They have sharp teeth just like you would have imagined..so cool. I caught 7 and Tyler claims he wasn't keeping count but I'm pretty sure it was less. Once I got the piranha into the boat, I did not dare got near it as it flopped furiously along the floor so Tyler had to grab then and unhook them. Tyler told me I was being a child, but piranhas flopping around with sharp teeth are not child's play!! It was really fun though, and then after a few hours we made our way to shore where they have a small camp for lunch. Tyler helped clean the piranhas and then they were dumped whole into oil and fried up..teeth and all. They actually tasted pretty good..could have used some tartar sauce. After lunch we went on another trek into the jungle. At every other trek, our guide has basically carried binoculars and not much else but today he carried a machete because the area had the most poisonous snakes in peru! Eek..and much to Tyler's protest we didn't see any. We were hoping to find an anaconda today in the creeks but we came up empty :(. We then headed back into the boat for the long ride back but not before Tyler and the guide jumped into the lake..the piranha filled lake! He survived thankfully. I passed on this experience...I wonder why. Today was really cool. We didn't get back until 6pm but we had to get to happy hour which started at 6 so we cleaned up quickly and made it in time for our two Pisco Sours and banana chips and had lots of laughs with are new American friends.

Posted by tanyatyler 16:34

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint